Monday 22 August 2016

Recent Projects #1 - August

Although I tried to teach myself crochet three whole times, I didn't really get it until the third attempt. Thank goodness! By  July 2016, I already had a mass of purchased yarn and many gifted crochet items from people who no longer enjoy the craft. I felt like I had won something once I was able to get past that foundation chain, haha. The guilt of those items just sitting there is now lifted!

My few projects are just awful and poorly made that I refused to share them here right now, haha. Maybe in the future I will share them, we'll see. Technically I finished those in July anyway so no need to share, right? ;)


This month was an absolute mess! I was so insanely busy, haha. The month began with a large convention event and a mud run (6k obstacle course up and down a ski-hill!) that absolutely wrecked me. It was so much fun, the exhaustion was very much worth it. After that weekend, I had spent a lot of weekends at other events and with friends, so it really cut my crochet time down!

This month is the month of my best friend's birthday, as well as her wonderful sister I also love, so I decided I would make them some presents. I had to use all that extra yarn anyway, right? (Spoiler alert: I bought more yarn, of course.)


My bestie and I grew close through a mutual friend and a passion for Bioware video games. This girl live and breathes Mass Effect! Femshep is a personal inspiration to her, and it very much shows, haha. I wanted to make her something to match her many N7 themed items. She owns far too many plushes and her boyfriend would flip if I gave her one, so I decided to make her a scarf! This girl really loves scarves so it's perfect!


I'm not super happy with the way it looks as far as the horizontal stripe 'thingies' go, but the scarf ended up so warm and comfy. She loves very, very long scarves so it was a bonus that it ended up this big! Originally I was going to make an infinity scarf but I decided not to. Happy happenings?

[For more information on the project, see its Raverly project page.]




My other project was of course, for her wonderful sister! Her sis is the polar opposite of myself. I love girly things and nature, she's a rocking metal-head, haha. I was puzzled by what I could make her so I really hunkered down and brainstormed for a while. I thought for a second that she sometimes paints weird creatures - both her and her sister are amazing artists - and it hit me that I could make her a Cthulhu plush!

I ended up finding a wonderful pattern at Cthulhu Crochet for a smaller Cthulhu plush. I think my yarn was a bit thicker than it asked for (and I did use a different sized hook) so it ended up being quite sizable for a 'tiny Cthulhu', haha. I think I also might have crocheted it a little too loosely! A few things I changed on the pattern were the wings, because I just didn't like the look of them for my project, as well as the body. In the original pattern the head and the body were one piece, but I decided to do them as separate pieces.



I love the shade of green of this yarn. My pictures really don't show how absolutely vibrantly lime it is. The angry eyebrows were a wonderful suggestion by my boyfriend, which I am so thankful for. It really adds personality to this fellow! In the end, she ended up loving the gift!

[For more information on the project, see its Raverly project page.]


Both the girls really loved their gifts, actually. Their happiness with their gifts made the few hours and tight deadline definitely worth dealing with. It makes me so happy to know I was able to make something for my friends. I hope that by the winter holidays, I'll be prepared and much less busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment